StPhilip’sEpiscopal

Share

St.Philip’s Episcopal Church

St. Philip’s Episcopal Church is located on the North Side of Richmond. The African American congregation was established as a mission of St. James’ Church (founded in 1835) in 1861, and a church building was constructed. The church building was destroyed in 1865. Members continued to meet but meet in various homes until a new structure was built in 1869 with help from the Diocese of Virginia, St. James Church, and family members of J.E.B Stuart. St. Philip’s is the oldest and largest church of the seven black congregations represented in the Diocese of Virginia. It is also the sixth oldest African American Episcopal Church. Regular mass is held early on Sunday mornings followed by Bible study and a Choral Mass. The congregation is composed of primarily African Americans, with approximately 1,100 regular members.

St. Philip’s works with Congregations Around Richmond Involved to Assure Shelter (CARITAS) to provide shelter for homeless people of the Richmond community. The church also hosts a Narcotics Anonymous program that holds weekly meetings to help people recover from their addictions through fellowship. Other outreach relationships include the New Orleans Ministry, Girl Scouts, Equality Virginia, Richmond NAACP, Ugandan Aids Orphan Ministry, The Daughters of Zelophehad, Union of Black Episcopalians, Virginia Blood Services, Black History Museum & Cultural Center of Virginia, Voter Registration Ministry, and the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King Book Ministry.

St.Philip’s Episcopal Church
2900 Hanes Avenue
Richmond , VA 232222
(804)-321-1266

Sources:
St.Philip’s Episcopal Church Website
St.Philip’s Episcopal Church Members

Profile prepared by, Trisha Williams
November, 2009

 

Share

Home | About Us | Partnerships | Profiles | Resources | Donate | Contact

Copyright © 2016 World Religions and Spirituality Project

All Rights Reserved

Web Design by Luke Alexander